[MacDV] pops & clicks

Jim Heid jim at heidsite.com
Wed Jun 18 10:05:31 PDT 2003

> A bit off topic but I know there are some here who work with audio...
>
> Is there a program that *really* works in getting rid of pops and
> clicks and general surface noise from imported vinyl recordings? Any
> tricks I can do to the vinyl record itself (besides dusting it clean)
> before importing the audio?
>
> I'm archiving my records and was hoping someone here might know. Thanks
> in advance.

TC Works' Spark XL has a *superb* Declicker filter that does an astounding
job of removing pops and clicks. It even has a mode that lets you hear
*only* what it's removing.

http://www.tcworks.de/

I demonstrate this on the DVD that comes with my book -- in the iTunes
section of the DVD, I've got an entire segment on restoring old vinyl.

Spark XL is a pricey program -- about US$800 -- but it's a genuinely
professional-level tool, and it blows Peak out of the water for general
audio editing.

Best,
Jim

--
Jim Heid
Author/Host, "The Macintosh iLife" book/DVD