Help! Import randomly disconnects into iMovie

Roy Flanders flanders at probuyer.com
Fri Jun 20 21:27:10 PDT 2003

Really in need of help here folks.

After many, many successful, similar projects, I've now encountered a
issue I can't solve. Problem: I set up "new project," connect FW
cable from (plugged in to AC) Sony TRV310 (Dig8) to iMac 800, 768
RAM, OS 10.1.5, using iMovie 2.1.1 (preferences: import to timeline,
and/or shelf makes no difference in solving problem), auto break at
new clip. Set in DV mode, click "play" and "import (yes- it shows
"camera connected.") In this set-up I'm capturing project on a new
external 120 Gig Firewire, 7200 rpm with Oxford 911 bridge (as I have
many times in past with similar un-fragged drives.)

All goes well for a few minutes, then the "problem" -- "import" light
goes out with a blank screen on iMovie, though on the camcorder LCD
the video is still happily playing, but it's not being captured. I
can get it going again by simply clicking stop in iMovie, Play and
Import, and it continues OK for another random amount of time. (Of
course I have some sloppy cuts.) But sooner or later it stops
Importing video, again with the camcorder still running.

Here are the variables I've tried.

- retarting iMac to be sure no other apps are running
- turning off Classic
- capturing to a different, firewire HD using same iMac set-up
- using different source cassettes in camcorder
- the usual fiddling  with FireWire  connections to be sure they're tight
- initiating "start" of camcorder by manually pushing play on
camcorder, and export on iMove.

- even borrow a friend's later version Sony (Digital8) camcorder as
source, but get same problem.

--

Next I try from the start on my new (pretty much unused as yet)
TiBook 15" 1G with 1G Ram, 60 Gig Drive (50 gig available), OS

Have any of you ever experienced this problem? I've followed many of
the posts on this list from the beginning, and am constantly amazed
at the depth of knowledge gathered on one list. If anyone can offer
an insight I would be most grateful.

Roy
Nantucket, MA