No subject

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 04:08:18 PDT 2003

In MissingMpegTools where you are encoding your original MOV file to create the intermediate MPV video file there is a place to set the bit rate. I think it defaults to around 2800. There are radio buttons for 3800 (high quality, bigger files) and I think 1800 (lower quality, smaller files). I don't have the numbers remembered exactly but I think that may be the information you are looking for. If quality isn't a big deal you might also want to try a regular video CD which is simple to do in Toast:

You go under Other and select Video CD.

Drag your original MOV file into the window. Toast will encode an MPEG-1 file from it.

When it's done, drag the MPEG-1 version that was created into the window now.

Insert a blank CD and burn. (Very simple. I wish Super VCDs were so easy.)

A regular VCD will hold about 74 minutes with quality that is about like the 6-hour mode of a VHS tape or a little worse.

Super VCDs hold about half that at quality approaching DVD quality supposedly but can hold more if you lower the bitrate. I haven't tried using the lowest bitrate, so I don't know how that quality compares to a regular VCD.

Hope that helps.

-Dave