Mac OS X Panther

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 18:31:47 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 08:24  AM, Macintosh Digital Video List
wrote:

> From: beliefpictures at shaw.ca
>
> Does anyone know if the upcoming Mac OS X 10.3 will run on a G3 Mac?

VERY good question!

I'll attempt an answer based on incomplete information: I have several
developer friends who went to the WWDC and who undoubtedly got the
preview copy of Panther. One of them in particularly probably would
have written to me SCREAMING if Panther had not run on his iBook, so
I'm *guessing* that Panther will run on a G3.

Obviously, some of the graphic effects we saw like Expose and Fast User
Switching seem to indicate that you really, REALLY want to run Panther
on a machine capable of Quartz Extreme. But there are several G3-based
models that can do that.

Speaking of which, the OS X product manager was quoted somewhere today
as putting the whole idea of a G5 notebook firmly down. There is **no**
chance of a G5 portable anytime soon.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com