Final Cut Pro 4 Quirks and Caveats

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sat Jun 28 12:23:38 PDT 2003

The question becomes, does FCP4 allocate RAM differently based on
project size? All my edits are long form, 30 to 120 minutes, each
culling from its own truckload (20-60 hours) of online footage. The
first job brought in was at 25 minutes at the time out of FCP3. During
that job, I checked the RAM allocation, and the 1336 MB was the figure
for FCP4.

The overview given by TomMacs  on the MacWorld forum makes me think he
is an enthusiast, but not really checking RAM allocation. How much less
memory? And doing what?

I've been hammering FCP4 since before it was in general release (well,
by a day or so) and so far it looks spectacular, overall, but in need
of updates. Typical of any new software release. The edit I first
worked upon had enormous amounts of multilayered 3 Color Corrector work
(2-5 iterations in notches) where the new and improved smoothing tools
redefine color correction power. And CLEAN at the edges, even soft,
moving ones. Very nice. These tools made it possible to match outdoor
scenes shot hours apart (totally different lighting conditions) with
quite acceptable results. And the tweaks were faster, to be sure.

Richard Brown