[MacDV] Re: Importing from a DVD

Mark.Florida markflo at mac.com
Sun Jun 29 18:44:19 PDT 2003

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 06:07  PM, Neville Thomas wrote:

>> If you have an external DVD player, you can connect it via analog
>> cables or
>> S VIDEO via a DV camera with pass through or a converter such as the
>> Canopus
>> ADVC-100.
>
> I have an iBook with DVD player and AV port (video_out to VCR); that
> might work?

No that won't work.

1.  The iBook is not fast enough to play a DVD (it uses software
decoding) and digitize a DV stream at the same time.

2.  Even if it *was* fast enough, the DVD player app pretty much hogs
the computer.

If you want to lose a generation to VHS (definitely *NOT* recommended),
you could play it from the iBook to VHS (or to the analog inputs of a
DV camera to avoid any *major* generation loss)...  then back into the
iBook via DV...  but this won't work with commercial DVDs that use
Macrovision copy protection.

2 cents.

- Mark