] FCP 1or 2 BAD NEWS in xlr8yourmac

Hans de Bijl hansdebijl at wanadoo.nl
Mon Mar 3 07:07:43 PST 2003

Owners of the Final Cut Pro Upgrade who are purchasing a 2003 Macintosh
without OS 9 booting ability should call Apple Support and speak to the
Final Cut Pro Support Division. They informed me that they are sending
full installation disks to registered owners of the Final Cut Pro 3
Upgrade that will install on OSX.
You will probably need:
Your hardware serial number
Your Final Cut Pro serial number
Proof of Purchase for Final Cut Pro
Access to a FAX machine to send proof of purchase
Timothy Nitz
(I asked for a better explanation of the "FCP upgrade" comments)
The (Final Cut Pro 3) upgrade depends upon an earlier (thus not native
OS X) version installed. I don't recall all the details of installation,
but the installation itself also requires some fiddling in OS9, there is
simply NO way to install the upgrade on a new Macintosh - thus the
reason for them providing OSX native installation disks.
This does not mean that Apple will send FCP 3 to owners of previous
versions of FCP - it simply means that those of us who legally upgraded
($299) will be provided with disks that allow us to install the upgrade
on a new Mac."