[MacDV] Re: Hard drive for iBook video editing

Ray Bromley list at raybromley.com
Mon Mar 3 19:33:17 PST 2003

Randy and Craig:
I have used an external Firewire 7200 rpm drive (Oxford 911 chipset)
hooked to a 2001 dual usb ibook (384 megs of RAM, running OS9) with a
DV camcorder attached to one of the Firewire ports on the drive. I had
the whole iMovie 2 project saved on the external drive. I pretty much
had to use that set up, since the iBook only has a 10 Gig drive, and
that's pretty much full. I expored the finished projects back to the
camcorder, and they seem OK (both on the computer and on tape).  I have
not tried the setup with OSX yet, and probably won't, since...

I also have an eMac (800 MHz) running Jaguar in which I have captured
the video on another external Firewire drive (7200 rpm) from a DV
camcorder hooked up to the second Firewire port on the computer. I keep
the iMovie 2 projects on the external drive, and even save them into
iDVD 2, and burn from the iDVD project from the external drive. It
works fine. I imagine the iDVD disc image is saved on my eMac's intemal
drive, but I'm not sure about that part.

-Ray :-?