[MacDV] Mpg to iMov1e?

Kevin Ledgister kledgister at mac.com
Thu Mar 6 06:36:33 PST 2003

To convert mpeg to DV you have to go through a number of steps.  First, you
need to "demux" the files with a tool such as macbbDemux which you can find
here http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbbdemux/ .

This application will demux the files and you will get a separate audio and
video file.  From there, if you have QT Pro, you can convert the video file
to a DV stream to import.  The audio file has to go through one more
conversion process to convert it to an mp3 that QuickTime, iMovie, etc. can
use.  I usually use SoundApp but it an OS 9 only app for now but the website
seems to indicate that a carbonized version is coming.  You can find it here
http://www.spies.com/~franke/SoundApp/

Some have reported that you can convert the audio file using iTunes but I
never have been able to do it.

Once you convert the audio, you can bring it back in along with QT Pro and
export it as a DV stream or import it directly into your editing application
and sync up with the video.

I'm at work on a PC and away from my iMac otherwise I would have more
detailed instructions.