[MacDV] Re: Mpg to iMov1e?

Jim Heid jim at heidsite.com
Fri Mar 7 08:42:06 PST 2003

Following up on my post of yesterday, in which I wrote:

> You should simply be able to drag them into iMovie 3 (which can import video
> formats other than DV stream) and sequence to your hearts' content.
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't tried this with MPEG digital camera movies, but it
> works like a charm with the AVI movies that my Canon digital camera takes.

I did try this technique with some MPEGs that I took with my Sony CD
Mavica...and it didn't work.

The video imported fine, but lacked an audio track -- makes sense, I
suppose, given that I didn't perform any demultiplexing steps. Same thing
happened when I tried using QT Pro to export the MPEG movie as a DV stream.

Mark Florida's technique of simply playing back the movie while recording it
to DV seems like a nice, simple process, especially since the demuxing tools
that others have recommended here tend to be rather tweaky to set up and
use.

- Jim

----
Jim Heid
Contributing Editor, Macworld
Author/Host, "The Macintosh iLife" book/DVD
At the printer now!