Canopus

Simon Briggs stagsimon at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 19:58:18 PST 2003

Anyone using Canopus DV converters?
I am thinking of either an ADVC50 or 100 (the 50 might be cool stuffed
in the front of a MDD?

How well do they work? any glitches. I am awaiting a reply from them in
which I posed the following:-

1) Will either of these devices work with my machine and OS?
2) Does the 50 when mounted in the PCI slot need to be connected to the
firewire port on the motherboard?
3) Am I correct in assuming that the 50 only converts to digital and
Does NOT allow output of an analogue signal(s)
4) Does the 100 'bridge' both ways? ie can I hit "export to camera" in
iMovie and have a movie recorded to VCR
5) Do they BOTH work in PAL and NTSC
6) Is there a software component or are they entirely hardware based?
7) Am I correct in assuming that the units behave as if they were a DV
camera connected to my machine?
8) How do they switch from NTSC and PAL?

any one have any input?

Thanks

Simon Briggs
G4/400 Sawtooth
OS10.2/Superdrive/CDRW/DVD-RW/ 704Mb Ram
Canopus DV converter?(TBD):-)