[MacDV] Re: Mpg to iMov1e?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 20:31:57 PST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 10:42 AM, Jim Heid wrote:

> Mark Florida's technique of simply playing back the movie while
> recording it to DV seems like a nice, simple process, especially since
> the demuxing tools that others have recommended here tend to be rather
> tweaky to set up and
> use.

I've had good luck with Extractor ( http://denisx.dyndns.org/extractor/
) to get the audio out.  You don't really have to do anything to set it
up or use it, and its pretty fast. I have heard that it simply won't
run on some systems though.

To get the video out, export from QT as motion JPEG A at 720x480 29.9
fps, then drop the result on iMovie. You can just drop the MPEG
directly on iMove, but the extra step seems to improve the quality a
little bit.  To get the audio out, extract an MP2 stream from
extractor, then convert it to MP3 with iTunes, and then import into
iMovie. Viola - movie with sound.

SR