[MacDV] MP3 Audio Extraction From MPEG Movie?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 22:25:18 PST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 11:02 PM, Thubten Kunga wrote:

> I'm stumped. I have downloaded a 55.4 MB 5:34 minute Music Video MPEG
> movie (i know not what flavor) that plays in QuickTime. But when I try
> to use my QuickTime Pro 6.1 to export the audio as an AIFF file, I get
> no option to do that. In fact no audio extraction option is shown.

Right - MPEG audio is like a unfathomable enigma to Quicktime. It
plays, but if you do anything with the movie, the audio is history.
Most of the edit functions are disabled with MPEG.

>  So I downloaded Extractor .95 from the internet and it won't
> recognize the MPEG movie as a file it can deal with. I did already
> export the original MPEG movie as a QuickTime Movie. But Extractor
> doesn't see that file either.

Strange. I looked at the type and creator code of some MPEG files that
Extractor likes on my machine, and they're MPEG and TVOD. I think
Extractor expects MPEG-2 and your file might be MPEG-1 - that's one
guess.

> I have a Judeth Stern and Robert Lettieri Visual QuickStart Guide to
> QT Pro 5 book that says that I am supposed to be able to see audio
> export options that don't show up in QTP 6.1. Did Apple remove the
> audio extraction options in 6.1 Pro?

I don't think so. They're just absent for MPEG.

> How do I get the audio out of the MPEG movie and ultimately into an
> MP3 file?

Another option is BBdemux (I think its on Sourceforge) - I haven't
found it as reliable as Extractor, but its an option.

Other programs like MediaPipe, FFmpegX, etc. should be able to extract
audio, but they're in the "dicey" category that Jim mentioned. It seems
to take boundless twiddling to get them to work. Audio is the hitch
when working with MPEG. I don't know enough about MPEG to know the
technical reasons behind it, but it seems like there aren't any
programs for dealing with MPEG as an integrated stream like other AV
formats. It seems standard procedure to "demux" them (i.e. split the
audio and video) and deal with them as separate entities. There are
more freeware programs for the PC - maybe the Mac will catch up.

SR