[MacDV] Re: MP3 Audio Extraction From MPEG Movie?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Mar 7 23:19:57 PST 2003

Thanks Steven,
Filipe over at the Mac Pro Audio list gave me the answer. I knew you
would want to know what it is. This is such an interesting set of
posts, I'm including the entire chronology. I am so excited I performed
my first Demux of an embedded MPEG1 Video and successfully extracted
the MPEG1 Layer 2 audio track and then used iTunes to convert it to a
96kbps MP3 file. And it was so damned easy. I didn't know what I was
doing and yet I did it !! UNIX programmers are amazing. Thank GOD for
Mac OS X and UNIX together at last.

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 10:07  PM, Filipe M. wrote:

> I guess you may have gotten yourself a multiplexed (muxed) file. In
> Quicktime Pro, press command-J and see what appears in the left
> pop-up; you should have something like Movie and Muxed Track.
>
> If so, Quicktime will not demux the audio and video tracks apart.
>
> Under OS X,
> http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15987&db=mac might do
> the trick for you...
>
> Hope I have helped,
>
> Filipe

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 11:05  PM, Thubten Kunga replied:

Thanks Filipe,
It says MPEG1 Muxe...
Now I'll try your solution application if I can figure it out without
any documentation. Oh there's a small read me file. Very complicated —
NOT.  Ran the mpgtxwrap app from September aafter installing the
package. How this miracle of UNIX programming can accomplish all this
in a 161 K download is astonishing. Apple ought to have those kinds of
UNIX programmers rewriting iMovie all over again from scratch.

OK. I have an mp3 file thanks to you Filipe. I installed the package
and ran the Demuxer falwlessly. Took a minute max to Demux by simply
choosing the MPEG Movie and pressing START. Displays percentage done in
real time. Then I put the resulting MPEG 1 Layer 2 audio file in
iTunes, Advanced—>Convert Selection to mp3 and a couple minutes later
it resulted in a 96 kbps mp3 file in the Library. It's a miracle. This
list rocks! Where else can you accomplish do it yourself Demuxing when
you haven't a clue a half hour before you do it!

I love you Filipe! And every body else who's lurking too. Amazing.
Simply Amazing!

I'm a born again Demuxer!!

the package you have to install prior to running the app is 140K
The app "mpegtxwrap" 1.1 is 356K

mpegcut at biermann.org

I have to copy him this post. Thank you brilliant MPEG programmer whom
ever you are.

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 10:25  PM, Steven Rogers replied In BLUE: