Output DV to Tape

Mason David fatsodoctor at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 12:18:21 PST 2003

How does one go about putting a DV file back out to
tape (DV or VHS), when some elements of the DV file
apparently retain a Macrovision signal?

For a class lecture, I recently built a 90-second DV
file in iMovie.  I took 8 to 10 clips for this movie
file from a commercial VHS tape.  The file plays just
as it should on my Mac, but recording devices (both DV
and analogue) refuse to record the video signal the
Mac sends out which coincides with the commercial
clips. (I need the movie on tape, as I don't have a
computer projector in my classroom.)

It seems to me that the amount of commercial material
and the purpose of the video I've made combine as
'fair use.'  But I can't argue that with a piece of
hardware.

If anyone has a solution, I'd appreciate it.

Dave Mason

=====
David V. Mason
Department of Theatre and Drama