[MacDV] archiving DV w/iMovie 3 and iDVD 3

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Thu Mar 13 10:19:39 PST 2003

Just wanted to say that's a great idea -- to use a DVD as an easily
searchable archive of a tape.  I can see doing this myself, as I'm too
lazy to edit everything right away -- I could watch the uncut DVDs
until I get tired of watching 20 minutes of nothing to get to the good
1 or 2 minutes of footage, *THEN* get out the original tapes and do
some cutting.  This will become even more viable as DVD-R prices
steadily come down in price.

:-)

The downsides I can see to using iMovie 3/iDVD 3 are that you only get
6 clips per screen, and there is really no way to extract the date/time
metadata in the DV stream (or is there?), so you'd have to manually
enter that info to have it appear as the chapter title on your DVD.
Also, you'd have to set the chapter markers individually for each clip.

As an alternative you could just make VCDs using Toast or for a free
solution on Mac OS X, use ffmpeg and VCD Builder
(http://homepage.mac.com/johan/), or even use Toast to encode the MPEG
files and VCD Builder to create menus.

2 cents.

- Mark