Marbella Technologies

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Mar 15 08:01:44 PST 2003

> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>
> Please tell me no one is giving some random company their chequing
> account numbers!

You'd think people would have common sense, but you'd be surprised.
Here in Florida particularly we see a lot of ripoffs that to an outside
observer would just REEK of "what in the name of heaven were you
THINKING?"

> Since Apple guards every aspect of their products so closely...
> it won't matter if you place an order for 10,000. Apple does not cut
> deals.

Well now let's not overexaggerate the other way. Obviously Apple *does*
cut deals for people who order 10,000 Macs ... it's just not these
ridiculous 1/2 price claims that Marbella is making. That's less than
developers pay for their machines and far less than Apple could
possibly make a profit on. Apple has one of the fattest markups in the
entire industry, and it averages under 25%! So if someone claims that
Apple is happy to sell you a machine at 33-50% off, that should be A
CLUE that perhaps they are not fully legit.

> Now does anyone have any suggestions about a good way to back up one's
> machine? Other than painstakingly copying every thing onto cd's?

What's wrong with a mirroring hard drive? Or cloning your system off to
a secondary hard drive? Seems to me that this would be a lot faster and
cheaper than the time-intensive "burning CD" process for anyone with
more than a couple of gigs worth of valuable data.

_Chas_

Atheist having orgasm: "Ooo chemical chance! Chemical CHANCE!!"
- Bill Hicks