DVBACKUP ??? consider??? Re: [MacDV] Re: backup

Warwick Teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Sat Mar 15 18:04:53 PST 2003

R/Spect is really good but considering the costs of tape drives and
speeds of DVD etc et.. (i.e expensive SAIT, ULtrium, 9840(??) and SDLT,
AIT3 etc etc)... perhaps you mights want to look at something you
already have by the looks.

Firstly do you want to BACKUP (with generations) or ARCHIVE??????? They
are very different.

so

You own a DV camera right?

You maybe have some data base softtware or a word process or excel ..
???

Then you might want to consider using that software that BACKS UP TO DV
camera called DVBACKUP (V2.x) . I dunno the URL...

It is really good. Sling the guys a few bucks...

It is good for 25Mb/sec -- optionally two copied of the objects:

- caveats:

- it has no 'state' information . no data base.. so you gotta manage
the stuff yourself... especially for archive.
- so use objects as DMG's, tar, zip. sit etc...

For the cost of a min-dv tape for 11GB uncompressed it is very good and
fast compared to the data rates of DVD's and old DLT's for example.

You use you DV camera, some reasonable discipline to manage you objects
and backup and .. it is really good. Ie use labels and put the infor of
the tape cassette in your database and print it out and stick it on the
fridge.

RETROSPECT is very good (as is windows things like Veritas BNW, backup
exec , network (LEgato), and the others... if they have a MAC/OSX agent
.. also FLASHNET from SGL .. )

BUT.. if you have no bucks.. I would suggest that DVBACKUP is very very
good.

good hunting.