backup

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 05:43:59 PST 2003

> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>
> I think you have a point Charles. Is there consensus about a good
> cloning program?

Well, there's always setting up a RAID, which of course mirrors drive 1
onto drive 2 on a continuous basis.

Assuming you're not going that route, then it seems like Carbon Copy
Cloner from bombich.com is a popular favourite, though I suspect that's
largely because of the price (donationware, suggested donation $5). It
is great for making bootable backups to secondary hard drives, and can
even be used to make non-bootable backups to CD-R/RWs (sort of). Mike
Bombich also has some really good info on his site regarding the
methods he uses for cloning, and discussion the CLI tools like psych,
ditto and so on.

My pals at econ technologies offer a program called ChronoSync ($20).
This is not really for full hard-drive backups or for creating bootable
disks, it is for synchronising stuff between two machines (for example
a desktop and a laptop) with the minimum amount of fuss possible. You
can check that out at econtechnologies.com.

There are also other "synch" programs like ExecutiveSync and Intego
Personal Backup.

I've heard mixed reviews for Tri-Edre's "Tri-Backup" program ($50).

Finally, some new company in France is offering a product called
Clone'X ($50). Don't know anything about it.

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."