[MacDV] Re: Backing up your machines\

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Sun Mar 16 12:59:09 PST 2003

I've just spent most of the day messing around with various schemes.
I tried the Carbon Copy Cloner, which is rather difficult to manage in
terms of specifying what you want it to do. Too many choices. Though
this no doubt is quite nice for people who have very specific backup
and sync need. It also kept giving me this "Disk needs repair" error
message... without any clear information on how or what needed repair.
Finally I just clicked "ignore" and it did the job quite nicely. The
real drag of it is the scheduler is rather lame. Very poor options.

Basically I'm looking for something that's as simple as the good old
pre OSX days. Select All > Drag to other HD > go have coffee. As much
as I love OSX the whole "owned by root" thing is a drag. My concern is
not losing my system... (good excuse to partition) I just don't want to
have to reinstall all my apps, and have to sift through a bunch of CD's
figuring out where the most recent version of a document should be.

I decided to go with ChronoSync. I can set it up so it runs once a week
without having to figure out what the date would be (which one has to
do with CCC) and seems to be dumb enough to fit my needs. I'm trying
out the full version now, will let you know how it turns out.

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601