MPEG-2 file editor?

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Wed Mar 19 05:46:55 PST 2003

On 3/18/03 at 10:23 PM, Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>Hey all,
>
>I've got an MPEG-2 file that I need to trim a few frames off of and
>re-save as MPEG-2. Does anyone know of any app for OS X (preferably) or
>OS 9 (in a pinch) that can do this for me? Since I'm using a G3, I
>don't unfortunately have iDVD or it's MPEG-2 encoder, though I do have
>BitVice's MPEG-2 for G3.
>
>Any ideas appreciated.

It isn't the most elegant solution, but it works.

Open the file in QT Pro and mark down the timecode for the place where
you want to cut.

Launch mpgtx (free download from Version Tracker) and use its split
capability to make the cut at that point. As an example, suppose that
you have an MPEG-2 that is 60min12sec long and you want to cut the last
12 seconds. You would enter {01:00:00} in the text field for the list of
cut points.

--Dennis Cohen
  iLife Bible (May/June 2003)
  iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, & iDVD Bible