[MacDV] Re: iDVD 3

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Tue Mar 18 17:49:37 PST 2003

> On 3/18/03 4:23 PM, "Mark M. Florida" <markflo at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, the newest version of Deck offers surround mixing.  I have no
>> idea of the quality of their surround mixing tools, but Deck has been a
>> really solid app for as long as I've used it (the older versions
>> anyway, from 2.1 - 2.6, for the past 6 years or so).  It's a decently
>> priced multitrack recording app at $399, and the surround tools make it
>> that much more of a deal...
>
> That sounds great. I'm as interested in audio as anybody, but I still think
> surround is a very big subject, one where a $399 investment is chump change.

Maybe give the demo a spin?

> Frankly, I've never seen anybody working in DV with a room properly set up
> half-decent for stereo, much less a full blown surround mixing studio. For
> most DV producers, a move to cheesy computer speakers is a major upgrade
> from the 2" mono monitor in their TV set.

But that 2" speaker on your TV is good to check out the sound in a
"real-world" scenario.  ;-)  LOL!

I consider myself lucky to have worked in audio first (even if only in "home
studio" scenarios) -- I have a pretty decent understanding of audio
recording and mixing, and I think it helps me understand the subtle dynamics
of getting a voice-over to "pop" over a not-so-suitable bed of music that
the producer/director just HAS to use...  Ahhh, those were the days...
</reminiscing> (I'm no longer an editor... And I really miss it...)

- Mark