[q] Ideas/advice for OSX Video conferencing software (point to point only needed) over B/B

Warwick Teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Fri Mar 21 16:43:02 PST 2003

Guys, can someone provide advice/experience for some good software for
point to point video conferencing/video phone for OSX;

My requirements:
- full duplex across IP (ok I can tolerate some delay)
- point to point only (a->B and B -> A) - no "chat group" facility
- reasonable audio
- bit rates? (MPEG4-ish) 30Kbs and up (assume broadband)
- FPS?- 25 sounds good but will settle for less (only talking heads -
no dramatics like BBC/CNN!)
- camera sources are DVCAMs (PD150 and PDX10) via firewire with own
audio or AUDIO from TI' inbiuld mic, output from speakers in Ti
- no fancy gimmicks - just (I wanna see and hear them, they wanna hear
and see me)
- SHAREWARE ok .. but dont mind paying

- CUSEEME, - can get a demo to try it
- SQUID - it is hopeless in our test over 6/8mbs broadband. (same
SUBNET!!!) - audio is extremely bad. VISION is so so....
- ISPQ - just that!.  a chatty ICQ thing and does meet the requirements
- and hopeless to see anything.