VCD Help

Dwayne Bradley dwayne_bradley at mac.com
Fri Mar 21 22:01:12 PST 2003

I have made my first VCD and I cannot get it to play on my DVD player
which is supposed to be compatible with VCD (Sony DVP-NS300).  Here are
the steps that I did in creating the VCD:

1. Created the rendered Quicktime movie (352 x 240; Sorenson video
compression - highest quality; Uncompressed 44.1 audio).

2. Used ffmpegX to create the MPG file from the Quicktime file.  I used
the Quick Presets option for VCD (NTSC).  I do not know what all of the
individual options on the 4 tabs of the ffmpegX application really do
so that is why I used the Quick Presets option.

3. Used Discribe from CharisMac Engineering to create the VCD from the
MPG movie in step 2.  I burned 1 disc at Max Speed and another disc at
1X speed.  I have an external Pioneer "superdrive" in a Firewire case
that I used for the burn.

4. Attempted to play both discs on my Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player (VCD
compatible according to the player and VCDHelp.com).  The DVD player
tries to read the VCD (you can hear the drive making noises) but
eventually I get a NO DISC message from the player.  This happens with
both the Max Speed and 1X speed discs.

5. At this point I thought that the discs were bad, so I downloaded the
trial version of MacVCD X and guess what; it plays BOTH DISCS on both
the internal DVD drive in my PowerBook G4 and in the external Pioneer
drive!

I am at a loss right now.  Does anyone have any suggestions why my DVD
player will not play the discs?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwayne

P.S.  BTW, I have tried the same process above with both generic CDs
that I got on a spindle with the external drive and also with HP
branded CDs (C8001A).  Both give the same result.