[MacDV] Re: Stupid Question?

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 05:42:53 PST 2003

On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 07:44  AM, Steve Robertson wrote:

> Even if your camcorder doesn't have the "pass thru" function, you can
> still use it as an analog to digital converter. Just insert a blank
> tape in your digital camcorder and make a digital copy of your analog
> VHS original. Since the video is converted to digital before it goes
> onto the camcorder's tape, the camcorder's tape should not contribute
> to any loss of quality. The only drawback is that this method takes
> twice as much time as a "pass thru."

I'm not sure what constitutes "pass thru". I always thought that meant
you didn't need to have a tape in the camcorder to digitize video
through the firewire port to the computer. My Sony DCR-TRV110 (Digital
8) doesn't do this - I have to have a tape in the camcorder, but I can
capture the digital signal *simultaneous* to recording it on the D8
tape. If I want to keep an archive copy, I keep the D8 tape. If I just
wanted to get the digital signal to the computer, I can reuse the D8
tape.

Mark