Archiving DV

Edwin Chee cchee at triad.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 06:29:16 PST 2003

I understand that for full quality DV back-up (archiving), today's 4.7
GB DVD-R technology is not optimal as one hour of DV takes up 12-13 GB
storage space.  Perhaps with new blue laser DVD technology we will have
an ideal archival solution in the near future.

That being said, I still want to back-up my one hour Mini-DV tapes onto
4.7 GB DVD-R disks.  After overhead, a blank DVD-R stores about 4.28
GB.  Currently, I am importing the DV into iMovie 3 and manually
splitting the video at 21:00 for a file size of 4.22 GB segments and
exporting this into Quicktime "Full Quality DV".  Each hour mini-DV
tape will fit onto 3-4 DVD-R disks.

Does anyone have a script or an efficient workflow that they have used
for this purpose?  Am I losing any quality by exporting to QT?  I'd
welcome any input for a better solution.

Edwin