[MacDV] SLICE ME UP

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Mar 26 08:31:59 PST 2003

Back up a bit and let's get some info.

You're using a 7500 -- with the built-in AV ports or with a FireWire card
and a DV camcorder?

Which version of Mac OS are you running?  8.6?  9.0?  9.1?

Do you have a G3 or G4 processor upgrade installed?

And if you're running an older system with the built-in AV digitizer, you're
not going to get even close to VHS quality out of it.  If you just need
something for simple editing, look for a copy of one of the free
applications out there (Strata VideoShop?)  If you want to keep using your
older hardware, that's fine, but you need to work within the equipment's
limitations and use older software designed to run decently on older
machines.  You may even be able to find a copy of Premiere 4 or 5 for
super-cheap on eBay, which would be *MUCH* better than iMovie, IMHO (but not
necessarily eaiser).

If this is something you are SERIOUS about doing though, here's the MINIMUM
equipment you'll need to make the process smooth (or even bearable) with
good results:

- G3 or G4 upgrade card (if you don't already have one)
- big hard drive (look for deals on SCSI drives -
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5500&Item=OWC07N3236N - or get
a cheap IDE drive and a SCSI-IDE bridge -
http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7720u.html)
- FireWire PCI card
- DV camcorder or DV/FireWire bridge

This will give you the ability to transfer your VHS tapes in all their VHS
graininess without introducing even more noise or compression artifacts --
if you get a DV camcorder (or Digital8), you can digitize your VHS tapes to
the DV (or D8) tapes as another way to preserve your footage for the future
(when you *are* ready to edit with DV).

Now, to answer your main question:

Imovie automatically "chops" the movie when it gets to 2GB while it's
importing from a DV source, and starts another clip when it gets to that
point.  But when you put them end-to-end in the timeline they play
perfectly.  I don't think it's capable of the same "chopping" when importing
a file from your hard drive, and that's where your problem lies.

If you *really* want to use iMovie, you'll need to chop your clips into 9
minute pieces so they'll be less than 2 GB when converted to DV stream --
but if you're using the built-in AV on the 7500, then it's really not worth
the trouble -- use another app like Premiere (4 or 5) or Strata VideoShop.

(whew)

Hope that all helps.

- Mark