SLICE ME UP

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Wed Mar 26 08:09:21 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:41:49 -0800, "Louis Cornelio"
<cornelio at san.rr.com> wrote:
>I have VHS I want to digitize - I was importing via a Mac 7500 to QT -
>but I found that iMovie chokes on files over 2 gigs & these are 30 - 60 min.
>
>i know there ws some discussion of Dv bridge a while back, which I didnt
>pay much attaention to as I have no need of a DV camcorder at this point.
>*BUT* now I wonder - If I get a 'pass through' digicam ir whetver to run
>the VHS -
>
>I want to know - does it convert to to a DV stream that iMovie will *not*
>choke on because of length?
>
>Because it *must* be possible to bring more that a 2 gig file into
>iMovie, no?? But I took one of my "too big" QT files & exported as DV
>stream & then tried to import to iMove - no joy 'file too big.
>
>So - how the HECK does one get a 20 min or 40 0r 60 movie or better into
>iMovie? *ONLY* by chopping it up to 2 gig slices??  If there no other was
>save expensive external hardware convertors?

When iMovie imports video of any length from FireWire, it saves the
result as a sequence of clip files (DV streams) of less than 2GB. If
you have a big QuickTime movie, there is a script at
<http://www.oakstreetsoftware.com/qtscript.html>
that will split it into smaller DV stream files that iMovie can
handle (requires QT Pro).

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>