[MacDV] Re: OT: Best way to destroy used CD-R's

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Wed Mar 26 18:08:35 PST 2003

Just take a sharp object and scratch the side with the coating.  On a
CD-R, that is what actually contains the encoded data - the laser burns
the reflective coating on the underside through the plastic disk
material to create a null-reflection point representing a binary 1 (or
0, I'm not sure).  Any significant amount of scratches to that
reflective surface will probably make the disk unreadable.  I use a car
key and do it several places hard until the reflective material flakes
off, then simply throw it away.  There's no way anyone can read it.

Of course, in our world today you can't be too careful.  A CD shredder
would be the ultimate protection.  Then again, I don't have anything
archived that would be that sensitive.  My method is sufficient for the
work I do.

Ron Woodland