digi VHs

Louis Cornelio cornelio at san.rr.com
Wed Mar 26 20:15:55 PST 2003

Hi mark

>Back up a bit and let's get some info.
>
>You're using a 7500 -- with the built-in AV ports or with a FireWire card
>and a DV camcorder?
>
>Which version of Mac OS are you running?  8.6?  9.0?  9.1?

9.1

>Do you have a G3 or G4 processor upgrade installed?

G3 450

>And if you're running an older system with the built-in AV digitizer,

the inputs, but they are just a conduit, no?

> you're
>not going to get even close to VHS quality out of it.

Even w/ the 450 GS? I was curious about the built-in ports.
Analog sound & S-video - is there any reason they should not be good?

I use them as I dont have a way to get video into my eMac, heh. There is
a Firewire card in the 7500 & I capture to an external FW drive

>If this is something you are SERIOUS about doing though, here's the MINIMUM
>equipment you'll need to make the process smooth (or even bearable) with
>good results:
>
>- G3 or G4 upgrade card (if you don't already have one)
>- big hard drive (look for deals on SCSI drives -
>http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5500&Item=OWC07N3236N - or get
>a cheap IDE drive and a SCSI-IDE bridge -
>http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7720u.html)
>- FireWire PCI card

got all the above

>- DV camcorder or DV/FireWire bridge

so that is my question - will that somehow be an improvement over
capturing using the 7500 sound & S-video ports? I use BTV for the capture
& am using Motion j-peg compression - is there a better choice for the
initial capture/ compression

>This will give you the ability to transfer your VHS tapes in all their VHS
>graininess

haha yeah, but when that is all you got & ya wanna save it, graininess is
no crime...
I then import into all the free tools I have for my emac

>Hope that all helps

yes indeed, thanks. But to clarify for me -  even someone importing
direct from digicam or whatever will currently also have to face the 2
gig Imovie limit if they use that tool? Must be the reason people buy a
better tool I guess....
thanks!