[MacDV] Re: FWHD problem to be solved?

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Thu Mar 27 09:18:36 PST 2003

I just bought a Western Digital 175GB hard drive ($99 after rebate from
CompUSA on their 40th anniversary sale, and it turned out to be a 180GB
hard drive after all).  I put it in a FireXpress firewire case, plugged
it to my iBook (600MHz 14.1" LCD, running OS X v. 10.2), and it
immediately ran the app to partition and format it.  Couldn't have been
easier.  I made about a 50GB partition for doing DV import, editing and
export, so that I could wipe it clean from time to time to defragment
it.  The rest (which turned out to be 120GB after the overhead and
variance in definition of "GB" took its toll) is used for everything
else.

Then I promptly copied everything I could onto it, and only made a 16GB
dent in it.

However, at one point when copying stuff to it from a dual 533MHz G4
desktop machine, OS 10.2 froze: I got the eternally spinning lollipop,
and things stopped working apparently as soon as each thing needed to
access the hard drive.  Not sure if that's a firewire drive thing or
what.

I haven't tried capturing video to the external drive, so I hope that
works fine.  One copy of 2GB of stuff took about 3 minutes => 10MB/sec
transfer rate, though that was just one example.

>>> markflo at mac.com 03/27/03 09:42AM >>>
Two words:  Disk Warrior - the best Mac disk utility ever.  It will be
the
best 69.95 you've ever spent on Mac software.

If that doesn't do it, you may need to take the drive out of the
FireWire
case and see if it mounts when connected to an internal IDE bus (what
kind
of Mac -- this is easiest on a G4 tower).  Then maybe DiskWarrior can
help.

> Help
> I was importing files ( about 15 clips) from one imovie project to
another
> from a FWHD to my regular HD  when a sign came up saying clip #12 was
not
> able to be imported because there was something wrong with it.
> So, I tried to reboot and now get a message that says my Mac can't
read the
> FWHD and do I want to initialize it either in OS standard or OS
extended.
> I tried mounting the FWHD on another Mac and get the same message.
> Is there anything else I can do to save the 3 imovie projects that
are on the
> FWHD or am I stuck having to intialize the drive and lose
everything?

<http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

$879!
> Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS!
<http://www.macresq.com>

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest version.

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
$879!