[MacDV] Re: iDVD ejects DVD tray

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Mar 28 14:47:02 PST 2003

On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 02:35  PM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> The way the Mac works is that the disk is either "in use" or ejected.
> That way you never have the situation of a disk just sitting in the
> drawer not doing anything, and no external indicator that its in there
> - in other words, if you wanted to be sure nothing is in there, you'd
> have to open it and look. The way it works now, that doesn't happen.

My preference would be to simply mount it in the Finder, like any other
disk. In fact that's what happens when you burn a CD. If you elect to
burn another disk it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult for
iDVD to unmount and eject.

For some reason it just bugs me that the machine does this. Maybe
because it reminds be of the old days when every removable disk in a
machine (including CDs) ejected whenever you restarted or shut down the
system.

Like I said, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I was just hoping
I was missing a preference or something to turn it off.

> If toddlers can get to the CPU, I'd be more concerned about a cord
> being pulled than the tray.

It'd be pretty tough for them to get to the back of the machine,
climbing onto the desk notwithstanding. I usually try to position
things so cables/switches are hard to get to (even if it is a pain for
me) and the optical drive is easy to access (for kids old enough to use
it), since every kid app made these days requires the CD (but that's a
different rant).

-Mike