Chopping a movie

Eric Phillips PHILLIE at wyeth.com
Mon Mar 31 13:12:06 PST 2003

I had a movie that had several parts to it and I wanted to divide the
movie so that when I put it to VCD people could select different
segments to watch. Since I decided to do this after I had edited the
whole movie I had to select each segment, cut it and export it. I had
added a second audio track for background music. When I tried to segment
the movie the video would cut at the places that I set the markers but
the second audio track would stay intact. I would then have to select
each piece of music I put in and delete it separately. I had one piece
of music for each segment. Is there an easier way to do this or do I
need to think farther ahead next time and build the segments separately
from the beginning?

Since I had to do several steps for each segment I couldn't just do an
Undo at the end to get back to my full length movie to chop out the next
segment. If I went File, Open Project and try to reopen the project I
was working on it would not give me the full movie, I had to close
iMovie and relaunch the app then I would get the full movie. Is there a
way of getting the full movie back without restarting the app?

One last question: I edited the volume of the original audio track and
the background music. I used Toast5.0.2  to compress the video and
VCDBuilder to put the segments together. In the resulting VCD the volume
edits did not exist, everything was at full volume. I haven't had the
chance yet to check if the .mov files had edited or nonedited volume.
Any suggestions?

I am using iMovie 3.0.2.

Thanks.
Eric