[MacDV] Re: EyeTV [was grab stills from video]

Marc listmrr at snet.net
Mon Mar 31 15:00:45 PST 2003

EyeTV can do simple capture...

If you want to capture a snapshot of the current frame of video, you
can press ⌘-C, which will save the picture to the clipboard. Or, you
can press ⌘-Shift-C which will create a snapshot file on your desktop
from the active video window, named “EyeTVSnapshot_1.jpg”,
“EyeTVSnapshot_2.jpg” and so on.

The quality is nothing to write home about - you're dealing with some
pretty blocky stuff. Works for small web reproduction (within
copyright) though... As far as other comments -

It's really easy to use - like working a TV remote. It integrates
nicely with Toast for burning to VCD/DVD. You can schedule using
TitanTV, Yahoo TV, or with Watson. Karelia's Watson is the best - but
isn't free like the other two. El Gato's Support Team has always been
responsive to my queries.

Quality is like CABLE TV to VHS - at extended play mode. The colors
lose some vibrancy and you have a minimal amount of blockiness. It's
much better than most web video though.

Audio sometimes loses sync. Not really bad - but this is not Canopus.
Not consistently off - doesn't seem highly affected by processor usage.

Overall - better than a TIVO (until they make it comp. w/Rendezvous) -
especially since it doesn't collect your personal data. Not in the same
league as Canopus ADVC -- but then again the Canopus captures raw (read
GB!) AND doesn't have scheduling software.

Only $200 - well worth it.

Just my thoughts -

Marc Russo
Mac&/