[MacDV] Re: AE Stupid question...probably

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Fri May 2 11:11:47 PDT 2003

> Are things going to import "Stretched" at the ratio?
> I've had this happen a number of times before since AE is 724X486 (or
> something like that...)

Well, the beautiful thing about AfterEffects is that you can set it up
however you like...  ;-)  But then again, that adds to the complexity as
well...

If you're using After Effects 4 or higher, you can tell it the pixel aspect
ratio you wish to work at -- DV would be 0.9 (it may still look too wide
on-screen, though -- but it will come out right)

Also, if you work with square pixels in AE at 720x480, it will definitely
look stretched on your computer screen, but will be proportionally correct
when output to TV via DVD or DV (iMovie or FCP).

One way I work is to use square pixels in AE and set your comp to 720x534
and when rendering, scale the output to 720x480 (or nest the 720x534 comp
into a 720x480 comp for rendering, scaling accordingly) -- I'm not sure
which way would be faster (maybe the precomp option, since AE is pretty
smart about the way it renders stuff).  Or you can render at 720x534 to look
at it first and then when ready to output to DVD or VHS or DV, then use QT
Pro or AE to scale it to 720x480 (I think iMovie 3 will scale it
appropriately as well).

Anyway, that may have cleared some things up, but may have brought up new
issues as well...  :-O

- Mark