[MacDV] Party Video

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat May 3 09:32:09 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 12:24  PM, DBAFeldman at aol.com wrote:

> I could use some suggestions.
>
> My son has been asked to video a Bar Mizvah reception of about 250
> people
> with dinner, dancing and DJ. It will be in a ballroom with generally
> dimmed
> lighting and they will have some sort of light and sound system for the
> DJ.
> He plans to use a Sony TRV900 with a Canon consumer camcorder as a back
> up.
> He is well known for his creatively edited videos(documentaries, school
> events and projects) in iMovie and Premiere, but they are quite
> different
> than a party.
>
> The questions:
> 1. What microphones would be recommended? I assume it should be
> wireless. He
> is planning on getting individuals comments on tape. Maybe an antecdotal
> story or two. And there are the speeches or toasts to consider. Should
> he
> have a lapel type and a hand held?

A lapel wireless is handy, for the comments though, you can get a $10
magnavox mic at KMart and a radio shack adapter and it works fine.

> 2. What kind of light should he have? Would one of the basic Sony
> lights be
> sufficient?

Room dependent, Time of day dependent,  That said the Sony on camera
light can save yer butt. I use one. It balances well.

> 3. Is a tripod on a dolly important?

If shooting the Temple. a tripod can help. Find out beforehand what is
allowed.
In some temples you stand in a partitioned area and shoot through a hole
in the wall. In some from the back. I have shot them from the seats.
Tripod can help, but too much dollying at the temple is not good. If the
PARTY is in a large room a tripod and doilly can be good, but just a
tripod is boring except for the cake ceremony which can be quite long.
Except for the candle cake deal a 900 is easy to shoot handheld with.

> Cost is a consideration, but the equipment can probably be useful in the
> future. It is not a real tight budget. Would renting make more sense?
> That
> is, if we can find equipment to rent in the greater Detroit area.
The last time I rented a dolly it cost me $75.
I bought one the next time.