Camera noise

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Sun May 4 19:22:31 PDT 2003

Recently, Chris asked about camera noise on the Canon ZR60. I have a
ZR40 which probably isn't a whole lot different. This morning I set it
up on a tripod on the screened-in porch to record bird sounds.

It seemed to me that the bird songs were loud enough to record but when
I imported them into iMovie3, I could barely hear the track. I bumped
it up to 150% and still couldn't hear as much as I expected. (The G4's
fan noise wasn't helping a lot either.) Finally I put on some earphones
and then I could hear quite well - most of it camera noise.

So if you want to pick up anything light like this on the ZR series
using the built-in mic, forget about it. By the way, did you ever
notice how we tune out certain sounds like airplanes overhead until we
are trying to record. I live inside the boundaries of a national forest
and you'd think it would be quiet early Sunday morning before the
neighbors are up, but not necessarily.

Shirley

P.S. The motor noise could just about pass for the sounds of the tree
frogs and crickets, but then there wouldn't be birds singing at the
same time :-)