Camera noise

Paul Knight paul.knight at internet.co.nz
Mon May 5 16:43:44 PDT 2003

I wonder if the problem is that Canon's mechanism tends to get noisy.
I recently found that motor noise on a new MV 530i had become quite
unacceptably loud about 75% of the way through a temporary edit tape
and that on replaying the tape discovered that it had been acceptable
at the beginning but had progressively deteriorated.  No problem with
an external microphone nor with a Sony in the same environment.   So
the retailer sent it and the recorded tape back to  Canon  who
returned it saying there was nothing wrong with the camera and that
the problem was the tape.     Hah!  So a little later after more
tests we sent it back again with the same tape and this time they
returned it saying that they had "...replaced a noisy tape drive."
The improvement if any is marginal.

>From: ShirleyK <ShirleyKat at cox.net>
>Recently, Chris asked about camera noise on the Canon ZR60. I have a
>ZR40 which probably isn't a whole lot different. This morning I set it
>up on a tripod on the screened-in porch to record bird sounds.
>
>It seemed to me that the bird songs were loud enough to record but when
>I imported them into iMovie3, I could barely hear the track.
>(The G4's  fan noise wasn't helping a lot either.) Finally I put on
>some earphones
>and then I could hear quite well - most of it camera noise.
>
>So if you want to pick up anything light like this on the ZR series
>using the built-in mic, forget about it.
Shirley
--
from Paul Knight
Home:  (JapanEd)