[MacDV] DVD-R longevity

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Thu May 8 18:40:23 PDT 2003

I'd give it no more than a week if it were sitting out in the sunlight.

That reminds me. I was going to take a short video project folder to a
meeting so I could show them how the film looked in iMovie. The folder
was 2.5 GB. I dragged it to a DVD and let Apple make the data DVD. All
went well (if slowly) until it failed verification. I had already used
the same brand of media to make a regular DVD from iDVD (this on the
1.42 G4 tower and the version of iDVD in the iLife package).

After that data DVD failed to verify, I decided to see what would
happen if I tried to read it. It seemed to mount and I could see a
couple of icons inside, but trying to open a folder took a long time,
before failing.

Next I installed Toast and tried the same thing. I got exactly the same
response from the Toast-burned DVD. Has anyone experienced this or do
you have an idea of what went wrong? I'll try another data DVD with
other files I want to back up and use the Apple DVD this time. But I'm
curious about what might have gone wrong here. It shouldn't matter what
kind of files I select, should it?

Shirley