[MacDV] Re: DVD MEDIA...

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat May 10 11:37:58 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 02:27  PM, Alan Cawson wrote:

> It is very clear from the manuals etc that DVD-R recorders will not
> record DVD+R media and vice versa, so the big issues concern playback.

I also have a Mac w/ DVD and a standalone Phillips.
  Once I converted a DVD+R (Memorex) to a DVD-R in the mac. (that is to
say I used itto record)
DVD+RW's do not seem to play on the mac.
DVD-R's would seem to be more compatible but as you say this is changing
rapidly.
This is such a tricky business.
Last week I had a client for whom I made multiple copies of multiple
tapes on the Phillips, w/ DVD+R's.
When tested in  the living room, the ones made on Fuji media played
fine, but the ones made identically but on HP media would not play in my
fun player.
Similarly identical programs made on the mac, played in the living room
on Apple media and Khypermedia media, but not the TDK's.
So. between all the different flavors and then the performance
difference even between brands of the same format, nothing is firm.
Generally though  - in your mac and + in your standalone.
Jim