[MacDV] Re: Formats...

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Mon May 12 08:01:58 PDT 2003

It would be burned through iDVD, so not entirely uncompressed right? I
guess I'll try it out and see what happens, just to know for sure, but
I suspect you are correct.

>>> Not sure I understand this. DV itself is already a compressed format
>>>  (1:5)
>>> done right in the camera itself.
>> This is an AfterEffect project. No DV footage used. The "none" or
>> uncompressed version looks great, the "DV codec" compressed version
>> looked soft.
>> The none version stuttered on my machine and I was wondering if that
>> was a function of the computer and whether that limitation would be
>> overcome by the compression applied when making a DVD.
>>> I not sure I understand the "run not as good", though. Are you
>>> saying  that
>>> if the original DV-compressed shoot is rendered without a codec and
>>> then
>>> burned to a DVD, it will have problems running on a standalone
>>> player?
>>> jb
>> So I took it to mean "yes".

> I do not think that uncompressed Video stored on a DVD would even
> register as viable content on a standalone player.
> On the other hand you probably could render your uncompressed video to
> Mpeg2
> make a DVD from it and that would run fine.
> Jim

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599