[MacDV] Re: 970 Is Shipping

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed May 14 17:30:40 PDT 2003

> on 5/13/03 7:13 PM, doug lauber at dugster77 at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> Kunga wrote:
>>
>>> Only via processor upgrade. No, this is about your next Mac. Not the
>>> one you use today.
>>
>> Can my G4's processor (933) be upgraded?
>> Or would I need a whole new motherboard? -doug
>
> *I* believe it can...

I seriously doubt it... Here's why:

PPC 970 uses an *ENTIRELY* different bus architecture (the pipes that
connect the processor to everything else), and the bus speed is *much*
faster than what even the fastest current G4 supports -- bus speed is one of
the main reasons the 970 is so friggin' fast, take that away, and you
basically have a 64 bit G4 running 32 bit instructions on a very restrictive
bus, and probably equal performance to a G4 at the same clock speed.

You probably won't be able to just swap motherboards either -- based on
observing Apple's revisions to the G4 line, the ports change posigion, the
PCI slots change position, etc.  And you wouldn't be able to just buy a new
motherboard anyway -- Apple only distributes them to Apple-authorized repair
shops for "authorized" repairs (mainly those covered under warranty).

If you want more speed, you'll probably be able to get a dual 1.42 GHz
processor upgrade for a decent price in the next year or so -- but you'll
still be limited by the bus speed of your motherboard (100 or 133 MHz, where
the 970 will use a bus speed in the 800 MHz range! - I think...?).

Also, my guess is that the (rumored?) 970-based PowerMacs will be
competitively priced, so if you really want the most bang for your buck,
you'll be able to get a great system at a reasonable price...  But then
again, this is Apple -- you'll probably still pay a $600 - $800 premium
compared to an equally speedy Intel/AMD system...  Not saying that it won't
be worth it, but Macs always have and always will cost more than Windoze
PCs.  This also means that if you are on a tight budget and an older G4
would suit your needs just fine, you'll be able to get one at a cheaper
price.

Anyway... 2 cents.

(I'm kind of excited -- rumor has it that the new machines and OS X 10.3
will be unveiled at the Apple WWDC next month)

- Mark