Processors, what can you tell me?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri May 16 12:05:30 PDT 2003

> From: doug lauber <dugster77 at earthlink.net>
> Yeah, a previous poster gave me the rundown. 'Wait'. It is too
> expensive and not enough of a performance gain at this time,
> to upgrade from a 933.  Makes sense. On the other hand, I understand
> that performance CAN be improved by adding more ram, which is
> relatively cheap. (I have 512k now)  -doug

Well, it's possible to go from single to dual processors via upgrade,
which could be worth it to you depending on what you do -- but at
approx. $500-700, it doesn't seem worth it to me. You'd be better off
starting a savings account for those yummy revamped towers that are
coming later this year.

As for adding RAM, people should be aware that there IS a point of
diminishing returns on this. If all you're doing is "normal" computer
stuff (ie surfing, writing, finance etc), then anything beyond 512MB is
probably not going to help all that much.

If you're doing anything really processor or RAM intensive
(audio/video, Photoshop, lots and lots of apps open at once, etc), then
of course more RAM will help.

_Chas_

Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to write a great piece
of software?

A: More!