OT: InDesign

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu May 22 02:24:59 PDT 2003

> From: David Thrasher <idave at earthlink.net>
>
> I'm sure InDesign is very fine software but a problem you might run
> into if you intend to have it printed by someone else is that InDesign
> is not in very many service bureaus and printing facilities yet. This
> poses a bit of a problem for you since it requires that either they
> buy the software or that you put in into a form that they can use.

No it doesn't. I moved to an all-PDF-outflow years ago. Bring me
ANYTHING and what you'll get back is a PDF. There are no service
bureaus I know of that don't DELIGHT in getting well-designed PDFs
instead of gosh-knows what from artists using various versions of at
least three major software packages.

In addition to the BIG ones I see all the time (QX, Pagemaker,
Word/Excel/Powerpoint and occasionally the foolhardy Publisher), I've
seen files produced in Ready Set Go, Ragtime, PrintShop (popular with
dimwit PC owners, not so popular when the get the bill for
corrections), and Multi-Ad Creator (still great and still popular with
certain types of print customers).

To bring this back to DV somewhat, I have been known to use such
graphic-design and illustration tools as Quark, Powerpoint/Keynote,
Photoshop or Illustrator to produce graphics I could then drop into
video productions. Admittedly I wouldn't have half that stuff if I
didn't come from a print background, but they ARE valid tools that can
be used as part of the video creation process.

_Chas_

"To use the Mac is to be confronted, over and over, with the idea that
the most mundane task can be done artfully and compassionately,
beautifully and invitingly. " -- Glenn McDonald