[MacDV] Re: DV - FW pinouts

Frank Farwell frankfarwell at mac.com
Sat May 24 08:26:35 PDT 2003

> On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 10:01  AM, Frank Farwell wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how the 4 pins on the FW cable are used? do 2
>> supply DV video and then the other 2 iMovie uses to control the
>> camcorder?
>>
>> trying to pin down a problem here.

  Peter Tattersall wrote

> ....... If for some reason the strobe signal wasn't sent on one line
> you would have a situation where, say, the camera could send video
> info and control info to the computer but the computer could not send
> video and control info back to the camera. The cables would be intact,
> the problem would be in the camera or the computer. If the cable
> itself has a problem, nothing would work in either direction.

Peter
Ok this is what going on now that ive tried many things.

my Sony TRV-103 camcorder has worked fine with iMovie for that past 3
years now it is not recognized. So i tried it on my powerbook iMovie
doesn't recognize on it either. So i presume the FW port is bad on the
camcorder (i tried another camcorder and it worked fine). But then i
put the camcorder on a phillips DVD recorder w/ FW port it works fine.
Now then i installed iMovie on an iMac with OS9 (OSX on the others)
iMovie recognizes and works with the camcorder fine. So now im lost.
Ive deleted preferences, run repair permissions, ran disk warrior.
iMovie still doesnt recognize the camcorder. But it worked fine just 2
days ago. Im lost.

technology can sure be a pain when it doesnt work right.

frank