Better Performance of iMovie 3.

Ian Tucker carlian at picknowl.com.au
Mon May 26 19:14:49 PDT 2003

On 10th May Dennis Amith commented that he was getting a much faster
opening of iM3 since he upgraded to OSX 10.2.6.    I have to comment
that I have not noticed any appreciable improvement since taking
similar action, however the time it takes for iM3 to open in my setup
is not unreasonable.  I am using a G4-933 with 640 mb of RAM and a 20"
Apple LCD.

A little earlier Erica responded to a query from someone who was having
performance problems as to whether they had tried the "minimize window"
trick.  From memory,  she later commented that this was to do with
exporting iMovie.   Anyway, I decided to check whether the overall size
of my iMovie3 window was minimized on my Desktop and it wasn't.
Since grabbing the little tab in the bottom RH corner and dragging it
as far as it will go towards the top LH corner the stability of the
Application has improved tremendously.      Previously, most times I
tried to play around with audio in the Time Line, or "Save",  the Appn.
would crash.   I hasten to add that I have not done a large amount of
editing since making the adjustment and time will tell whether a lot of
my performance problems have really gone away.

A useful reminder and what Erica may have been referring to :    ensure
the "zoom" facility in the "Time Line" is minimized prior to exporting
your movie; failure to do so could result in your audio being broken up.

My $A two cents for what it is worth.

Ian Tucker