Fonts

Ian Tucker carlian at picknowl.com.au
Mon May 26 17:44:42 PDT 2003

Although not an answer to Matthew Guemple's question on Font Management
his query never-the-less has spurred me into action to share what I
have done recently to increase the variety of Fonts available to me,
particularly in iMovie.

I have visited several web sites, but in particular the following:-

www.1001freefonts.com and www.a1fonts.com.

With the former you can click onto an apple key on a simulated keyboard
which will bring up various Mac fonts which you can then select and
download to the Desktop.

With the latter you will be provided with a wide array of fonts, but
they do not specify whether they are PC or Mac.    I  downloaded
quite a few of these, in particular, "saginaw" and "scriptina" which
our daughter uses extensively with her PC.   When I
opened the respective folders I could not do anything with the actual
font files which had "TTF"  suffixes after them.    After
scrounging around I found that if you click once onto the "TTF" files
and then take the undermentioned path you can convert them into a
format which can be used by the Mac.

Click once onto a TTF file so that it is darkened>Go to File menu at
top of screen>Get Info>Click onto triangle next to Open With>Click onto
arrow key in the blue space next to elongated window and select the
"System.icons bundle"**.      The TTF file will now appear as a large
"A'"similar to those that opened with the first web address.

You then need to take the following path :- Hard Drive>Library>Fonts
and then drag the various Font "A" icons into the Fonts window.

One Font I have found to be really suitable and modern for iMovie is

"Agent Orange".

** This process is also useful for opening other downloaded files that
the
Mac will not recognize  eg. ISO files.

Ian Tucker