[MacDV] Re: internal drives

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Tue May 27 12:54:46 PDT 2003

At 3:40 PM -0400 5/27/03, Charles Martin wrote:
>>From: "Eric Phillips" <PHILLIE at wyeth.com>
>>
>>I am helping a friend upgrade his G3 to do video work. He is looking for
>>an internal IDE drive. Anyone have a line on any good deals out there?
>
>At the moment, CompUSA has a special (through May 31) on Maxtor
>Ultra 160GB (7200rpm, 8mb cache, by all reports and excellent drive)
>for $169.99. There's a $70 mail-in rebate available, which if the
>gods smile on you and you actually receive it (ha!), knocks the
>price down to $99.99.

CompUSA rebates are, for the most part, worthless. (I was going
to say "a gamble" but reconsidered when I've thought back over
the rebates I've actually received--and yes, I always do keep
copies of the form and materials.)

I'd go with Dell Small Business myself. Slightly higher prices
(if you take the rebate into account); better service and similar
prices (when you don't). Check out Anand or FatWallet for current
deals.

-- Erica