[MacDV] Re: AVI

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Fri May 30 10:17:38 PDT 2003

> On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 10:09  AM, R. A. Cantrell wrote:
>
>> From way behind the curve: what do I need to  do to get an .avi file to
>> play
>> in QuickTime Pro 5?
>> --
>> All the best,
>> R.A. Cantrell
>>

> Not having ever made it work myself, I would try "importing" it rather
> than just "opening" it.
> Jim

Actually, QuickTime 5 should be able to play an AVI as long as it uses a
codec that is available both in the AVI format and QuickTime (like the
good-ol' Cinepak codec).  If it's a "DivX" AVI, you'll need some QuickTime
addition (codec plug-in) to handle it, or a utility to convert it into a
QuickTime file with a different codec.

Try searching for "DivX" on www.macupdate.com -- try one of the freeware
QuickTime codec plug-ins.

- Mark