bright faces

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat May 31 02:18:08 PDT 2003

> From: "Gordon B. Alley" <galley at texas.net>
> My Canon ZR 40 (miniDV, ~US$500) has White Balance adjustment. You
> can select  indoor or outdoor, or you can set it using the classic
> white-card method.

This is specifically what I was referring to. On many sub-$600 cams,
you have ONE control, often called "White Balance," that acts as both
white balance AND exposure control. There might be some additional
options in the camera's "software" but it doesn't offer any sort of
really fine control.

I'm far from an expert on all video cameras, so if I'm wrong I'll
happily stand corrected -- but the last time I shopped for low-end and
high-end video cameras, the low-end (consumer) ones had IMHO totally
inadequate control over white balance and exposure, often treating the
two things as one "option."

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.